Monday 29 October 2012

Reading Reflection #7

Tuesdays With Morrie by Mitch Albom
A Corner of The Universe by Ann M. Martin
Twisted by Laurie Halse Anderson


In the past few weeks, I have finished two books and I'm so close to finishing the last one. All three books have been pretty easy reads. They have gone quick, but that can also be because a book is so good.

The first book I finished was Tuesdays With Morrie by Mitch Albom. This was a quick read because it is written in very small sections so usually there's a different section every second or third page. This style of writing is good for me and maybe other people would feel the same. It's good because you're not rushed into finishing a long chapter in a class or anything. You can keep reading section after section whenever you have a minute in your day. I definitely feel it's harder to fit reading into my day when there's long chapters because I feel the need to stop at a solid point. Overall, this book was alright. It relates a bit to my life and someone I had a close bond with so that makes it memorable. It's kind of repetitive, not in the way that it says the same thing over and over, but in a way that it's sort of the same concept throughout the whole book. He's slowly dying and you know he's going to die and Mitch keeps learning lessons from him. There's no twist or event that really catches your attention. I'd give this book a 3/5.

The next book I chose was A Corner of The Universe by Ann M. Martin. This was also a fast read, but not because of small sections. I found it interesting and you never knew what was going to happen in the end. It wasn't the best book I've read, and I probably wouldn't recommend it, but it does have a focus on disabilities and that's something I appreciate. It has a drastic ending of the guy with disabilities committing suicide and I think that makes it have a big impact on the reader. I don't know much about disabilities and I think a lot of people don't learn much about it. In my opinion there's more of a blind eye than actually supporting and learning about it and it's a shame. Overall, this book was okay. I'm glad I could read it, but I don't think it's quality writing. I'd give it a 3/5.

The last book I chose to read was Twisted by Laurie Halse Anderson. This book also has quick sections, which made me read it in just one weekend! I'm not quite finished so I'm not sure what kind of ending it has, but overall I've really liked the book. Since it is a teenager talking you can relate to what they're feeling more and understand what they're going through. I like when characters don't have it all. This kid has it tough with grades, girls, and especially family. His family definitely isn't perfect and I think characters need to have flaws so that everyone reading can relate. Somehow, someway, I think everyone can feel something that this kid, Tyler, in the book is feeling throughout the novel. Another reason why I like it is because it is modern. There's no whipping in the school for being bad or dates with a girl to a drive-in movie. There's community service, parties, and grounding. There's drugs, alcohol, and smoking. The more modern it is the easier it's going to be for us teenage readers to relate, so Anderson's style and setting of this book were spot on if teenagers were her audience. Overall, I would recommend this book to people if you want an easy read. I would give it a 4/5.

Reading all three of these books gave me a better perspective of length, style, and setting of novels. I can't wait to read more!

No comments:

Post a Comment